AFIS gives you access to the latest wild fire locations, fire danger forecasts, historical fire reports and much more:
- Today's fire danger index displayed on a map for locations you define, including your current location.
- Fire danger forecasts based on daily numerical weather forecast inputs (e.g. wind speed, air temperature, relative humidity) and fire statistics for your locations, or wherever you drop a pin on the map.
- Satellite-detected real-time active fires displayed around your defined locations.
- Current vegetation “curing” or dryness relative to 14 years of satellite-derived vegetation greenness data.
- Detailed information about detected fires (e.g. intensity and time of detection).
- Fire history showing a location's fire events in the last 14 years in relation to historical vegetation curing using graphs, as well as statistics such as fire count, frequency and time since last burn.
- A fire danger calculator which allows anyone with access to weather information to calculate their own fire danger ratings based on their local measurements.
- Share observations of fire with the community by uploading geotagged photos to the AFIS Web Viewer.
- A global map of fire counts for the last 14 years.
Compatible with iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. Requires iOS 7.0 or later. WiFi, EDGE, or 3G network connection required.
Requires Android 4.0 and higher. WiFi, EDGE, or 3G network connection required.
Geotagged photo upload feature does not work.
Android App Usage
- Create an ad-hoc location and view its associated Fire Danger Index:
Tap and hold finger on the map to drop a pin - once it appears tap on the "Fire Danger" tab to view the FDI forecast.
- Create permanent locations and view their FDIs and History:
- Tap and hold on the map to drop a pin - once it appears tap on the created pin, a menu will appear, then tap "Add Location", provide a name if none is suggested.
Repeat the above step to add more locations.
- Tap Fire Danger once you have added all locations of interest - Swipe from left to right to page between FDI forecasts for all created locations.
- Tap History - Swipe from left to right to page between FDI forecasts for all created locations.
The Advanced Fire Monitoring System (AFIS) is a satellite-based fire information tool that provides near real-time fire information to users across the globe. The AFIS app integrates the various AFIS services in a fully-featured, easy-to-use mobile application.
AFIS provides global fire information, but if any data seems to be missing, please let us know at email@example.com. Please note that land cover is only available for the United States and South Africa.
Released on 15 October 2015
- NEWUpdated for iOS 9.
- NEWAutomatically display fires around the current location.
- NEWImprove legibility of low FDI values on iPhone.
- FIXBug fixes and improvements.
Released on 3 February 2015
- NEWUpdated for iOS 7 and 8.
- NEWSupport for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.
- NEWAdded Portuguese and Spanish translations.
- NEWWeather forecast is now available globally!
- FIXVarious bugs have been fixed.
Released on 24 September 2013
- FIXBug fixes and improvements for iOS 7.
- NEWGlobal active fires from FIRMS.
Released on 23 July 2013
Released on 28 August 2014